May 8, 2012 – 6:35 p.m.
(Posted on webpage at 4:30 p.m. on 05/03/12)
(10MB files take approximately 45 seconds to open)
05/08/12 @ 1:30 p.m.:
05/04/12 @ 4:40 p.m.:
B. CONSENT AGENDA:
1. Approve City Commission meeting minutes from 04/17/12.
2. Receive minutes from various boards and commissions:
Aviation Advisory Board meeting of 02/15/12
3. Approve all claims. The list of approved claims will be posted to the agenda the day after the City Commission meeting.
4. Approve licenses as recommended by the City Clerk’s Office.
5. Approve appointments as recommended by the Mayor.
6. Bid and purchase items:
a) Approve sale of surplus equipment on Gov Deals. Staff Memo
b) Authorize the City Manager to sign a contract with Walker Parking Consultants in the amount of $30,000 for assessments, engineering services, and construction administration related to repairs to the Riverfront Parking Garage (6th and New Hampshire). The actual repairs will be bid at a later date. Bid Memo
c) Authorize the City Manager to sign a 48 month lease with Unisource Document Products of Lenexa for a multi-function copier for City Hall in the amount of $407 per month. Staff Memo & Attachments
7. Adopt on first reading, Ordinance No. 8727, authorizing a grant to the Bioscience and Technology Center, Inc., for economic development purposes, in an amount not to exceed $500,000 and issue general obligation bonds to pay the costs (authorized by the City Commission on 04/17/12).
8. Approve a Special Event Permit, SE-4-17-12, for bonsai tree sales in the Checkers parking lot, located at 2300 Louisiana Street, from May 9th through May 23rd, 2012. Submitted by Greenpia America, LLC. for 2300 Louisiana Co, LLC, property owner of record. Staff Report
9. Authorize staff to negotiate an agreement with Bartlett & West for engineering services for the Maple Street Pump Station Stormwater Improvement project. The agreement will be presented at a later date to the City Commission for approval. Staff Memo & Attachment
10. Approve route changes in the Public Transit Service, with the changes being implemented in August, 2012 (changes recommended by Public Transit Advisory Committee earlier this year.) Staff Memo Maps of Proposed Changes
11. Authorize the Mayor to sign Releases of Mortgage for Scott Sponholtz, 3116 Creekwood and Harold and Esther Hase, 1536 Powers and a Subordination Agreement for Christopher Tosh, 1529 Harper. Staff Memo
12. Accept dedications of easements and rights-of-way for Wal-Mart Addition No. 4, a two-lot Minor Subdivision (MS-2-2-12) replat of Lot 1 Wal-Mart Addition No 3, located at 3300 Iowa Street. Submitted by Davidson Architecture and Engineering for Wal-Mart Real Estate Business Trust, property owner of record. Staff Report Plat
13. Adopt on first reading, Ordinance No. 8731 (added 05/08/12), amending Chapter 3, Article 5, (Animal Control Code) of the City Code regarding chickens, providing an exemption for businesses in certain circumstances. The ordinance will be posted in advance of the meeting as soon as it is available. Staff Memo
14. Approve the suspension of enforcement of City Code Section 14-407, prohibiting the discharge of firearms within the city, for a “shotgun” start at the Valor Awards Golf Tournament on Friday, May 11, 2012, at Alvamar Golf Club. Staff Memo & Attachments
D. REGULAR AGENDA ITEMS:
1. Consider adopting the 2012 Action Plan and Investment Summary of the 2008-2012 Consolidated Plan and consider adopting Resolution No. 6974, authorizing the Mayor to execute agreements for the 2012 CDBG and HOME programs and other such documents as may be required to be submitted to the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development for such programs. Consider adopting the 2012 updated CDBG/HOME Citizen Participation Plan. 2012 Action Plan Staff Memo & Attachments 2012 Action Plan - Added 05/08/12 Citizen Participation Plan Staff Memo Citizen Participation Plan
ACTION: Adopt the 2012 Action Plan and Investment Summary of the 2008-2012 Consolidated Plan and adopt Resolution No. 6974, authorizing the Mayor to execute agreements for the 2012 CDBG and HOME programs; adopt the 2012 updated CDBG/HOME Citizen Participation Plan, if appropriate.
2. Receive letter from Lawrence Chamber of Commerce regarding a proposed partnership between the City of Lawrence, Douglas County, and the Lawrence Chamber of Commerce. Correspondence - Added 05/08/12
ACTION: Direct staff to prepare implementing ordinance, if appropriate.
E. PUBLIC COMMENT:
F. FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS: Staff Memo & Attachments
G. COMMISSION ITEMS:
H. CALENDAR: Meeting List
1. Consider establishing dates for possible City Commission Study Sessions:
a) A request from the Public Health Board for a joint City/County Commission study session in April or May;
b) A request from the Lawrence Cultural Arts Commission for a study session to discuss the Final Fridays program.
· Community Health Assessment Forum, Wednesday, May 9, 3:30 p.m. – 5:00 p.m., and Thursday, May 17, 7:00 p.m. – 8:30 p.m. Location: Community Health Facility, 200 Maine St. Flyer
· City Commission Study Session, Tuesday, May 15 - 4:00 p.m. – City Commission Room, First Floor City Hall. Topic: 2013 Budget (note change in time)
I. CURRENT VACANCIES – BOARDS/COMMISSIONS:
Listed below are existing and upcoming vacancies on City of Lawrence Boards and Commissions. If interested in serving on a board, citizens should visit the website at http://www.lawrenceks.org/boards to volunteer online, or send a letter of interest to the Mayor, P.O. Box 708, Lawrence, KS 66044.
Three positions expire 05/31/12. All are eligible for reappointments to additional terms.
Four positions expire 07/01/12. Three are eligible for reappointment and one position will expire.
Two positions expire 05/31/12. Both are eligible for reappointment to additional terms.
Downtown Task Force:
Appointment of seven to eleven members available on this newly formed task force.
One vacancy for a position that expired 03/31/12. One vacancy for a position that expires 03/31/14. Eligibility requirements exist for this board.
One vacancy for a position that expired 03/01/12. Eligibility requirements exist for this board.
One vacancy for a position that expires 09/30/14.
Two vacancies for positions that expired 03/01/12.
One vacancy for a position that expires 01/31/13 and one vacancy for a position that expires 01/31/14.
Several positions are vacant on this board.
One vacancy for a position that expires 12/31/13.
One position expires 06/30/12 and is eligible for reappointment to additional terms.
Two positions expire 05/31/12. One position is eligible for reappointment to an additional term and the other position will become vacant.
One vacancy for a position that expired 03/31/12. Eligibility requirements exist for this board.
One vacancy for a position that expires 04/30/14.