Move out tips from the city
July and August are peak months for moving out of apartments and homes in Lawrence. The annual migration can strain city services and temporarily clutter neighborhoods.
Tips for moving out
To provide a smoother transition, city staff recommends:
- Usable items such as televisions, furniture, appliances, clothing: don't discard, hold a moving sale or donate to local charities.
- Books, CDs, records, videos, tapes in good condition: donate to the Friends of the Lawrence Public Library, call (785) 843-3833.
- Bicycles: donate to the City Street Maintenance, call (785) 832-3031.
- Bulky items that are no longer usable, such as couches, appliances, and automobile tires: call Solid Waste for pickup at (785) 832-3032.
- Paint, used motor oil and potentially hazardous chemicals: call Waste Reduction and Recycling at (785) 832-3030.
- Recyclable items, such old newspapers, plastic bags and beverage containers: log on to www.LawrenceRecycles.org for recycling drop off locations.
- Give away usable items at Freecycle.org
- Water service: transfer or terminate service by calling (785) 832-7878 or go online to www.lawrenceks.org/utility_billing.