Safe Winter Walkways
Preparing snow routes for pedestrian traffic
The Lawrence community depends on residents to remove snow from public sidewalks. We believe sidewalks remain in use in all weather conditions. During winter months, many Lawrence residents must be able to safely use public sidewalks: children walking to neighborhood schools, students walking to both campuses, employees going to work and families enjoying the fresh air all require safe walkways free of snow.
Safe Winter Walkways is a program provided by the City of Lawrence and the Douglas County Senior Services, Inc.
- This year, Douglas County Senior Services will institute a January 1, 2013 deadline for registering for assistance with Safe Winter Walkways.
- After Jan. 1, 2013, no waiting list for assistance will be kept this year.
- Please direct questions to Janet Ikenberry at Douglas County Senior Services.
Help Lawrence residents who can't physically shovel their sidewalks.
» Sign up form or call (785) 832-3338.
- Volunteers will be matched with Lawrence residents who are unable to shovel snow. We make every effort to match volunteers with residents in their neighborhoods.
- Volunteers are asked to commit to the snow season and shovel snow each snow fall.
- Maintaining Safe Winter Walkways is a step in keeping Lawrence a desirable place to live.
- Volunteers are asked to remove snow from the public sidewalk and a walkway or path from the front door to the street. Snow removal beyond sidewalks and walkway to the street is not a requirement.